Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Workshop Wednesday Linky Party

I'm linking up with Ideas by Jivey for Workshop Wednesday! Her topic this week is...PREPARING FOR THE BIG TEST!


One great strategy I tried this year to prepare my students for the English Language Arts exam is RATT. It's a nice strategy for organizing your answers to short response questions.

Restate the question.
Answer the question.
Text-based-evidence.
Text-based-evidence.

My kiddos write this like a checklist on the page for each short response question, and they really do their best to check off each letter as they complete that part. My students even decided that RATT would be useful in the extended responses, and used that to organize each paragraph! They worked really hard and this strategy has been a wonderful tool!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! All of our tests are multiple choice (for now) but that is definitely a good strategy to teach them when answering ANY question! Thanks!!
    jivey

    ReplyDelete