Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Genre Graph

I use genre graphs in the classroom. We have this gigantic graph on the back wall of our classroom. Every genre we could think of is on an 8x11 size poster below the graph. On each poster is the genre name, definition of that genre, and examples of other books in that genre. As we read a text, we decide the genre and then use a sentence strip cut down to add a text title and author to our genre graph. We only do this for texts the entire class read, not guided reading books.



This really makes it easy for me to quickly see what genres I'm skimping on as a teacher!

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea! I don't have that much wall space, but I think it'd be great to have a smaller one next year in my room! Thanks for the idea!

    -Nick
    Sweet Rhyme – Pure Reason
    Follow my blog with Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I actually have a lot of wall space above my cubbies, too high for me to reach without a chair, but the perfect place for a MASSIVE genre graph! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete