Sunday, April 13, 2014

Math Modules: Incorporating Written Expression

I know what you're thinking...like we need any additional work to do during the math block, right? Well, I use a center system and teach math in two small groups, so I actually DO need to create activities for my kiddos to complete independently while I'm teaching a small group math. I have the usual goodies - Everyday Math games that I still love, websites that make math fun, worksheets that focus on skills requiring practice, file folder games, frog games, etc. Anyway, each kiddo has a center folder with activities to work on while I teach a group. SUPER easy differentiation.

So, I was thinking, these modules are totally sweet in lots of ways. I'm not being sarcastic. I actually really like elements of the modules. My school is pretty cool in that we are adapting the modules, not adopting, so I have some freedom to do what I need to do, supplement as necessary, etc. I decided that the modules were lacking the extended explanation. I mean, that will get to the core; do these kids really UNDERSTAND? Next came my mini-books!

I created a mini book for each module in fourth grade. They have 13-17 questions, all fairly lengthy, and each question has a written response to go along with it. Sometimes it is simple, like, "Explain how you solved this problem." Other times it asks the kids to apply the strategies used in that problem to other areas of life. (Ah, generalizing. Transferring knowledge can be a trickster for kiddos under the age of 10.) Anyway, the mini books have a rubric for grading, hints for solving word problems, and a cutesy little cover page. I started creating them for third grade, too. For my lowest fourth grade lovelies, it turns out that fourth grade skills are not always independent, and that's what I'm after - getting these kids independently thinking.

Here's the link for the Math Module Mini-Books at my TPT store:

Teachers Pay Teachers

Here are some other SUPER math link:

Mr. Nussbuam
XtraMath
Sumdog
Scootpad

No comments:

Post a Comment