Saturday, January 18, 2014

Wonder written by RJ Palacio

Okay, so I have to chat about my FAAAAAAAAAAVE newish read aloud. When I say FAAAAAAAAAVE, I mean I love it, kiddos love it, parents email me about how much they love it….EVERYBODY LOVES THIS BOOK! Now that I have effectively talked it up higher than high, time for book introductions.

WONDER by R.J. Palaccio.



Have you heard of it? OMG OMG OMG it is FAB.

Choose Kind Tumblr

So, there is a sweet little book trailer that I used to introduce this book. Kids were captivated. They were excited. This is the story of August, a boy born with a facial deformity, and how he began going to public school in fifth grade.

Book Trailer

Author's Page

Sound good? That’s just the tip of the iceberg! So, the book tells the story from all different perspectives. It changes, and overlaps, and the writing changes, OH MY! Also, there is this English teacher in the book who has precepts, kind of like little lessons/morals explained throughout the book.

So, I can’t give it all away, but I will tell you that we had AMAZING class discussions while reading this book! We also spent time after reading to each create our own personal precept and made a class book. AND we made lapbooks as a culminating activity. Here are the flaps and folds we included in the lapbook:

Perspectives, compare and contrast two characters, character traits, summary, personal precept, analyze quotes from the text, title, author, genre, theme…

Anyway, READ THIS BOOK. I laughed. I cried. I heard from a friend in a neighboring school district that their entire fifth grade is reading it and developing a year-long school-wide theme based on the book!

This. Is. The. Real. Deal.

BY the way, I have a student packet novel study, parent guide, and lapbook instructions available on my Teachers Pay Teachers account. Check it out!

Teachers Pay Teachers

No comments:

Post a Comment