Saturday, January 18, 2014

Teaching Theme

Theme is super duper tricky to teach and it is horn tooting time. My kiddos know theme. They can choose a theme for any book and provide evidence from the text to prove that theme is correct. I’m like a proud mama when I hear those FAB evidence statements pouring out of their mouths and minds!

Anyway, I can’t take credit for teaching theme. I mean, I teach it, but I use these AMAZEBALLS theme posters that I found online. (Sidenote: I am a teacher blog addict. I read a lot. I find a lot of ideas!)

So, this lady, Beth Newingham, created GORGE theme posters, put them up on her website for anyone to download, and I DID! I put them up in my classroom, and as I finish read alouds, my class debates which theme is best. We’ve decided that any theme can be argued…you just need text based evidence, but that there is usually a BEST theme. Once we decide what the BEST theme is, we place a picture of the book cover under the correct theme poster. Visual reminder? Yes, please!
Theme…with a little help from Beth Newingham, teaching it is totally possible!

Beth Newingham

No comments:

Post a Comment