Saturday, January 18, 2014

Picture...Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun

One of my most memorable students was in my class during my second year of teaching fourth grade. Her hair was…well, it was a work of art. Totally tight curls that went EVERYWHERE. Huge hair. Teeny tiny skinny kiddo. Huge Hair. Loved her. LOVED. HER.

Okay, do you know that picture book, Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun? Here's the book cover:



THAT'S HER!

I should say, this little friend had autism. She was high functioning, but really struggled with just how literal she could be. Idioms? Those were toughies.

So, here I was, on my first day of the second year of teaching fourth grade. I was totes prepared. Totes ready for ANYTHING. And in she walked. What a quirky cute kid, I thought to myself.

“Alright everybody, let’s get started. Eyes on me, please!”

As soon as I gave the instruction, she was up. Up, out of her seat, running at me. And when she got to me, she pressed her face into my side.

Eyes on me. Ah. This was going to be an interesting year, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment