Friday, January 24, 2014

Quick Write Responses - Formative Assessment at its EASIEST!

So, I've been looking for more formative assessment to use with my read aloud novels. I saw another teacher on pinterest used something called "Quick Writes," so I developed my own. I typed up some sentence starters to use in response to readings. I shrank them down and laminated them to keep on desks. When we finish a chapter, I have the students use Post Its to write a one sentence response to the text, using a sentence starter from our Quick Writes.

The coolest part is that I don't need them to write their names. I give each child a number on the first day of school and EVERYTHING gets labeled with that number. So, on the back of one of the bookshelves in the classroom, I have all of their numbers written. Kiddos finish their Quick Write and stick their Post It on the bookshelf, covering their number. I can easily see who has finished, and who might need to reread the chapter. I use these during math as well. I'll give the kids a quick question, like an exit ticket for those familiar with the CCLS modules, and it is awesome formative assessment.

Voila!

Here are the Quick Writes I use in my fourth grade classroom.


Quick Write Response:

I predict…

I infer…

I wonder…

I question…

The characters…

I would change…

I noticed…

I visualized…

I like/dislike…

The author…

The author’s purpose is…

A meaningful connection…

The setting…

I didn’t understand when…

As I’ve read, a change I noticed is…

No comments:

Post a Comment