Monday, May 19, 2014

Monday Made It: Lava Lamps

It's Monday! Not too many more Mondays until summer vacation! (Which totally includes workshops, summer school, and curriculum writing for yours truly.) Anyway, today I'll be linking up with Tara at Fourth Grade Frolics. It's MONDAY MADE IT! And what did my class make? Lava lamps!


Sometimes I try things I find on Pinterest. Usually I feel like I belong on that website about Pinterest fails. Like the time I saw a teacher on Pinterest who took a smushy pumpkin after Halloween, placed it in a pot with soil, watered it, brought it into her classroom, and VOILA! A plant grew. Welp, when I tried this cool experiment, MOLD GREW. 

So, here's a Pinterest-y science-y experiment we did during free time recently. And this WORKED! And the kiddos thought I was totally cool for letting them try this. We brought in clear water bottles. We drank about half of the water, and filled the rest with vegetable oil. Next, we added some fun food coloring. When we were finally worked up and ready...we added the alka-seltzer tablets! And closed the tops. Now, the lava lamp didn't last forever, but it was fun for a few minutes. After that, we turned the water bottles on their sides, horizontally, and called them wave bottles!



So, try this! If I can do it, anyone can!


No comments:

Post a Comment