Sunday, January 30, 2022

Whole Class Journals

Have you tried using whole class journal prompts?

It's really a lot of fun, and a great way to get kids reading AND writing!

In my classroom, I use plain old cheap composition books. To save laminating time, I printed the whole class journal prompts, and then just used packing tape to "laminate" them to the journal covers. It has literally lasted like 5 years. Yes, I keep the same journals and continue to use them.

When I am teaching small groups during ELA, kids have lots of literacy options. One is to work on writing. This might be to continue a writing project we started in Writing, or free write, or use these whole class journals. They choose the journal they are interested in responding in based on the prompt. Now this is where it gets fun. Some kids flip right to a blank page and start writing. They can choose to put their name/date or not. (I mean, I know everyone's handwriting, so it's fine!) BUT more often than not, I notice kids becoming absorbed in reading some of their classmates' responses that came before them. What a fun way to get to know each other better and launch some meaningful conversations later on!

Another fun surprise? Have family members, principals, and other teachers write entries in your class journals!



No comments:

Post a Comment