Monday, January 10, 2022

STEM for Kids: Magnatiles/Picasso Tiles


Whether I am teaching in my classroom or teaching my toddlers at home, I try to think of ways to incorporate STEM. (Science Technology Engineering Math)

I was gifted a set of Magnatiles a few years ago and since then have continued to add to my collection! (Not just name brands, but the knock off brands, too! They work just as well and all of those magnetic tiles are compatible.)

What can you teach with magnetic tiles?
- free play encourages perseverance, dealing with frustration, and problem-solving
- colors
- counting
- presenting engineering challenges
- vocabulary development (structures, foundation, sturdy, etc.)
- put them on the window on a sunny day or in a dark room with a flash light to talk about light refracting
- the possibilities are ENDLESS!

In the classroom, many teachers use magnetic tiles as a piece of their STEM bins.

Check out my little ones beginning their engineering journeys below!





If magnetic tiles are out of your budget, but you have Lego building pieces laying around, like my husband, who has totes of them from his childhood, check out some Lego STEM Challenges for all ages here.


No comments:

Post a Comment