Monday, January 3, 2022

BROWNIE POINTS: Part of your classroom management system


Yep, brownie points have been part of my classroom management system for YEARS.

Do I want kids to be intrinsically motivated? YES. But do they need some guidance getting there sometimes? YES.

We heavily rely on Brownie Points in the beginning of the year. Praise, praise, praise. Reward, reward, reward. You're telling your kiddos what your expectations are and when they meet or surpass those expectations, THEY KNOW IT.

I use Brownie Points as a motivator in my classroom. When the ENTIRE class does something (following expectations during Daily Five, serving a role models during an assembly, wowing me on an assignment, etc.) the ENTIRE class earns a brownie point. (We work hard at COLLABORATION and TEAMWORK and COMMUNITY. Kids help each other succeed because they know that is how to get Brownie Points, but eventually we are just helping each other because it is the right and decent thing to do.)

Once we fill in the Brownie Points pan, we earn a mystery reward. Now, there are a lot of mystery rewards in my pocket. I learned very quickly that kids only wanted one. To watch a movie and eat lunch in the classroom. Yep. Something that was FREE FOR ME and did not take away any instructional time. Um, yes, please!

So, if you are feeling stressed and looking for an addition to your classroom management system, these are freebies that I found online! Try Brownie Points today. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment