Saturday, February 13, 2016

Spark Student Motivation Saturday

I'm here, linking up with Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching, for Spark Student Motivation Saturday!






Our class had so much fun with our SECRET AGENT day!
I used white string and black lights to set the stage. 
Kiddos were each given a badge, glow stick, and spy glasses.
They also used their Flashlight Friday flashlights and our lanterns around the room to see their work!
I had a CCLS aligned task to go with each subject area, four total.

The close reading and summarizing piece was my favorite! We worked at the back table in small groups to read and highlight the important information with a lantern, and then turned off the lantern so the black lights made what we highlighted GLOW. It made summarizing the MOST important information that much easier for the little second graders.

It was a fun day!

3 comments:

  1. What a fun day! Not only were you teaching your students important skills, but also creating wonderful memories of school! How many black lights did you need for your classroom? I'm wondering if mine is strong enough because I think it could make a brighter effect. Thanks so much for sharing!
    ~Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a huge classroom, with a whole wall of windows, so I used black table clothes to cover any light coming in. Then I used 5 18 inch black lights, but kept all of the lasers in the back half of the classroom so we still had access to the desks and smartboard in the front. I bought a few black lights at Party City with a coupon and borrowed some! It took an hour to set up and was worth it.

    Oh, and I used white yarn instead of string. It was thicker, easier to maneuver, and glowed nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cloths

      Typing on my phone always leads to pesky typos!

      Delete