Friday, February 26, 2016

Five for Friday

I'm so excited to be linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching this week for Five For Friday!  







Time for WRITING!!!

I've been teaching my second graders all about note taking skills,using passages about penguins. Next, we're working on writing informative paragraphs, using those notes!

I have a checklist for the groups. We are currently writing these paragraphs together, and practicing this format during guided reading writing as well. I like using the Post Its with checks to check off when we have finished a sentence. After writing the paragraph, we use highlighters in the colors on the checklist to be sure that we got everything in there that we needed to!

I'm proud of their progress, so far!



I've been using this sweet download from Mel D at Seusstastic for a few weeks now, and I still like it! It's a great early finisher activity during writing and a popular Work on Writing activity for during Daily 5. My kiddos were struggling with getting right to writing and then writing the entire time. Now, with these handy dandy templates and organizers, the kiddos are hard at work and having fun building their writing stamina! Plus, the bulletin board looks cute and I don't have to change it all the time!




I just started reading The One and Only Ivan with my class as our read aloud and they are loving it! Me too! I've read it aloud to my class every year since it came out!


When we get close to the end of the text, we hang huge chart papers around the room with the character names on each one. Kids go around and brainstorm character traits for each. THEN we go to Tagxedo and create super cool word clouds with the character traits in the shape of the animals!


We had a snow day this week! :)




Lucy is the BEST way to end Five for Friday!
I just love her to pieces.

2 comments:

  1. Lucy is extremely cute! I've never read The One and Only Ivan, but I think I should get one for my kids ad one for my class. I like you post-it "check mark" idea.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have to agree-Lucy is adorable. :)

      The One and Only Ivan is a book I read when I taught fourth grade and now when I'm in second. It's about a group of animals living in a mall and performing shows daily. Ivan, the gorilla, is charged with the task of protecting Ruby, a baby elephant living in the mall, too. The story is based on a real Ivan, an artist gorilla who really lived in a mall for much of his life, but a lot of the other characters and plot lines are fictional. I definitely recommend it! I can never get through it without crying at certain parts!

      Delete