Sunday, March 6, 2022

State Test Prep - FOCUS ON WRITTEN RESPONSE

I have taught in a testing grade level for 8 years of my career and I had test prep down to a science. I integrated it throughout the school year so the kids never really knew that they were prepping - they were just learning strategies that would help them to be successful.

The short response writing dominated our state assessments in New York, so that was always a huge focus for me. I like the strategy RATTS: Restate the question, Answer the question, Text-based detail, Text-based detail, Summary statement.

Now, not every kiddo can handle this strategy. I loved incorporating short response writing in my small group reading, which meant that some groups that still needed a lot of writing support might start the year using RAT. Then add another T when they were ready, and the S by the end of the year. Hopefully. Others might be ready for full-blown RATTS right away! It depended on the learners and their needs.

I like having check lists for the kids when we are learning the strategy and then gradually moving away from that because there won't be a check list on a test - the kids will be making their own check lists at that point.

I also love having rubrics so that when we move away from guided practice to independent writing, kids can score themselves and reflect on how they answered the questions using our strategy.

Another idea? COLOR CODING! For me, I have a variety of pens in small group reading. The kids use a different color for each letter of RATTS. It makes the strategy very visual. When they are ready to move away from that, they respond in all one color but check their response by HIGHLIGHTING each letter and the written component that matches up with that letter. It shows them if they are missing a letter, detail, summary statement, etc. And who doesn't love pens and highlighters? Get that motivation!

Seriously, after years of scoring state assessments and seeing SO MANY strategies for the written response, this is BY FAR my favorite. And the strategy that kids have had the most success with.







Happy teaching!



No comments:

Post a Comment