Saturday, March 12, 2022

LEGO BUILDING BLOCK CHALLENGES GALLORE

I love all things STEM! 

Currently, I am an instructional coach and I encourage the teachers I work with to incorporate STEM into any part of their day possible - soft start morning tubs, STEM bins, Brain bins, recess, whenever! But also, the subject areas! STEM is not always a separate activity. It can fit right into your current curriculum.

Now, at my house, we have bins of LEGO build bricks from when my husband and I were kids. Like, TOTES. Tons. So I used them in my classroom as a teacher.

Below are some really fun, ready to go ideas for incorporating LEGO building bricks into your teaching, whether you are in the classroom or teaching little ones in your own home. (Believe me, I have a three-year old who I test many of these challenges out on and she is a little bit obsessed.)






FOCUS ON WRITING:
There are so many opportunities to ENGAGE kids during writing with a STEM challenge. Sometimes, when they have the opportunity to break up the physical act of writing with some building (as long as the building does not take over), the writing is actually better. There's true purpose there because it is tangible.






I used these STEM challenges for YEARS during Summer School as our STEM initiative and I was always impressed by the creativity and perseverance of the students. They're special challenges because you can present them to primary learners or intermediate learners, and they can all be successful in their own way.





Station Rotation during MATH!
Set up a challenge station during math to review concepts previously covered in a new and motivating way! Such a simple area - task cards and a tub of LEGO building bricks!









No comments:

Post a Comment