Monday, December 20, 2021

Try your hand at BOOK RAFFLES today!



Just an example at how you can get kids EXCITED FOR READING!

Whenever my class gets new Scholastic book orders, I get a bunch of freebies. I also spend a few bucks on those dollar books. When they come in, we hold a BOOK RAFFLE!

Now, for me, this is a week-long process. I leave the books out on my counter with the buckets to hold raffle tickets. I introduce the books to the class. The books are there for kids to look at, read the summary, etc.

Throughout the week, my behavior management system switches over to TICKETS. Kids get tickets for EVERYTHING. Correct answers, doing their best, following directions, you name it. EVERYTHING. Each day during indoor recess or at the end of the day when they have packed up, they can write their classroom number or name on each of their tickets and add them to the bucket of the book or books they are interested in reading first. These books are being added to our classroom library, but kids are entering the raffle to win a chance to read the book FIRST.

At the end of the week, I pull names! Now, you can only win ONE book, so if you put your tickets into several buckets and win multiple times, I toss your name back in and choose another student.

Of course, you can totally have this be for KEEPS, but I enjoy continuing to add to my ever-growing classroom library, and the kids like finishing a book and knowing that others are waiting for it!

You could even do this with books from your classroom library that kids have not read yet, just to generate some excitement and interest!

Try a book raffle today!





No comments:

Post a Comment