Sunday, May 29, 2022

LEGO Building Brick Challenges for Kids of ALL AGES!


You know what I really love about STEM challenges? SO many of them can be posed for kids of all ages. You'll always be surprised by the responses from kids! They can truly be thoughtful, innovative, and motivated!

I have created LEGO Build Brick STEM Challenges for seriously all ages. Using them in school for our STEAM program, as well as for myself as a classroom teacher and a summer school teacher, I continue to be dazzled by the new ideas kids come up with. (I even test some of these challenges out on my 3-year old, pictured below!)

STEM challenges create a community - kids love sharing and reflecting on their creations, supporting each other through hiccups, and cheering their peers on when there are successes. It also builds on the collaboration of classmates. I oftentimes hear kids say, "How did you build that?" or "Can you help me with this?" or "Wow, I never thought to try that! Great idea!"

Now, when I use these challenges in my own classroom, I have always used plastic pencil boxes or larger plastic totes to house the actual LEGO building pieces, and typically each child gets their own. Each tote may have a varied assortment of pieces, and kids are allowed to share, but they have their own place to store their pieces. From there, I usually project the quick challenges on the Smart Board, discuss them, and set a timer for building. We have a share time, and move on. For challenges that take longer, I have written responses for kids to plan, build, reflect, and revisit their build. But really, the beauty in using STEM challenges like these in your classroom or home is that you are able to tailor it to fit your specific needs!






No comments:

Post a Comment