Sunday, April 17, 2022

Looking to Kick Your Classroom Management Up a Notch? BRAG TAGS!

I have always focused on the positive side of classroom management - EARN EARN EARN - No taking things away from kiddos, especially if they have already earned it! I also have always tried to give specific feedback, whether it is constructive or just plain old supportive. This is where Brag Tags come in.

I have a dog chain for each student. I print an array of Brag Tags, most of them freebies on TPT, that way I always have them handy. I see a lot of teachers organize them. I did not. I had a big old bin of them to grab from. Nothing fancy. But they were all pre-cut and hole punched each summer so they were ready for the school year.

When kids do amazing things. Or show improvement. Or follow directions. Whatever. I give them a Brag Tag. The front of the Brag Tag is related to the thing they did (ie: 100% on a test, helped a friend, etc.) and the bag is a personalized message from their teacher, explaining why I appreciate them and what they did. 

Now, depending on the class, I might leave the Brag Tag on the student desk and have them add it to their necklace when they have free time. Or I might add it to the necklaces myself and the kids will check them.

The necklaces don't go home. They stay in the room. But kids can wear them every day and just hang them back up at the end of the day. They can take them home at the end of the school year.

This is pretty close to free classroom management. The dog tags and chains were a few bucks on Amazon, but the Brag Tags were freebies I prepped for the year. It's motivating. The feedback to kids is useful. And best of all? The bulletin board does not need to change!!! WIN - WIN - WIN!




No comments:

Post a Comment