Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Show What You Know: Formative Assessments that are actually QUICK AND EASY!

FLASH BACK TO TEN YEARS AGO!


This little gem saved my formative assessment game!

I used this Show What You Know Chart every single year I was a classroom teacher. (I am currently an interventionist and instructional coach.) I had my students each given a number. When I wanted to do a quick check in ANY subject, I asked them to jot their response on a sticky note. They put their sticky note on their corresponding number. Typically I used this as an exit ticket or a ticket out the door.

When it came time for me to check, I tossed the answers that were appropriate and could easily see the students who needed a reteach or some extra support. I also knew right away who did not turn their response it because their number was still showing. 

Recently I was working in a classroom with a teacher. She had the kids do a quick right after their Individualized Daily Reading on a post it and asked them to stick them to her desk. It was literal chaos. Some kids put the sticky notes on her desk, others put them on the front, and NOBODY had names on them. So, I pulled this little gem out! Reprint, laminated, and VOILA! Organized, easy, quick formative assessments that WORK!




No comments:

Post a Comment