Saturday, May 8, 2021

Learning Our Numbers - Homemade versus store bought

I just need to put this out there - I am cheap.

I prefer to make my own...everything. We made baby food, games, toys, etc. But there are some things that kids prefer...not homemade.

So, I used popsicle sticks to write the numbers from 1-10 on the bottom. I then lined them up in order, taped them together, and wrote VIOLET across all of them so when the numbers are in the right order, Violet's name is spelled out correctly. She knows her name so I thought this would be a good check for her.

Turns out, popsicle sticks, plain jane bland manila popsicle sticks with some Sharpie on them, are not as cool or engaging as the brightly colored popsicle sticks from Really Good Stuff, which teach the same concept.

Maybe your kids will go for the popsicle sticks. Mine did not. Luckily, I shop clearance and I bought the Really Good Stuff version for like $3. I pulled out the set that counts from 0-10, but I also have sets that spell out the number words, for when Violet is ready for them. All of the sets are color coded on the back, so if we pull out all of the sticks with yellow on the back, they will teach counting 0-10, the purple sticks spell out THREE, and so on.

They're a steal. 

Honestly, shop the Really Good Stuff clearance or outlet shop for your classroom and your kiddos at home. There is SO MUCH. I never pay full price - I just wait for the big sales!







No comments:

Post a Comment