Saturday, April 24, 2021

Mentor Text Alert: The Paper Bag Princess

Enter one of my all-time favorite books!

The Paper Bag Princess!

Talk about female empowerment, determination, clever trickery, and a spin on the classic fairy tale we all know and love. I just adore the humor and the themes you can pull from it.

I have ALWAYS used this book in my classroom for SOMETHING. I love it to pieces. But now, it is also part of our third grade curriculum for our new ELA program from the Center for the Collaborative Classroom. And it is just another reason I love our new ELA program. They literally chose every book I love as a mentor text and use it somewhere in their program. I feel like they read my mind a little bit.

The only downside to this book is that my two-year old isn't into it. I don't know why. Maybe it's the dragon. I have tried a few times and she prefers classic fairy tales...or just anything else.

Anyway, this story is about Elizabeth, a beautiful princess whose castle is burned down by a dragon and her fiance is stolen away. She wears the only thing that did not burn, a paper bag, and tricks the dragon in order to save her fiance, Robert. He is disgusted with her appearance and tells her to go home and change, and to come back when she looks like a real princess. So she leaves him! And she lives happily ever after...on her own!

Pictured below are a few of the pictures from the book to give you a taste!











No comments:

Post a Comment